Saturday 24 June 2017

This lesson is a piece of cake


In this lesson we are going to look at some British English idioms. Our first one is:

A piece  of cake

This idiom means something is easy to do, for example: 

  • Frying an egg is a piece of cake.
  • The exam won't be difficult, it will be a piece of cake.
  • I thought climbing Daimonji would be a piece of cake, but it was actually a little difficult. 



Every cloud has a silver lining

 The meaning of this idiom is that even if something bad happens, there is always something good too. If you look at a black cloud, it's edge is silver. Here are some examples:

  • I used to work for a big English conversation school, but it went bankrupt and was taken over by a terrible company, so I was in a bad situation. But every cloud has a silver lining: this made me look for better and more fulfilling teaching work.
  •  One of my student's has cancelled their lesson tomorrow, but every cloud has a silver lining, I now have time to study Japanese.

It is not my cup of tea

This means you do not really like something. British people are very fussy about tea and how tea is made, so this is probably the origin of the idiom. Here are some examples:

  • Most British men are interested in football, but it is not my cup of tea.
  • I like different curries from around the world, but I am sorry, Japanese curry is not my cup of tea.
  • Strangely, I love all kinds of Japanese tea, but British milk tea is not my cup of tea! 

 Before next lesson choose two of the idioms  and make two short talks to give to the class,  using one idiom in each talk.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment