Saturday 24 March 2018

Using Pictures to Increase Vocabulary




Vocabulary is very important when studying a foreign language, but it is a challenge to remember so many new words. Photographs are a good way re-learn words or learn new ones. For example if you make a list of the nouns (名詞) in a  picture: some words you easily remember; some you need to re-learn and others are new. For me, in the picture above the Japanese nouns I easily remembered were 犬 and 耳, but I had forgotten the Japanese word for tail, so I needed to re-learn しっぽ. As for garden hose, I had no idea, so I needed to learn 水まきホーズ. This can be repeated with adjectives (形容詞), again 可愛い and 楽しい were easy, cute and fun. But I did not know silky fur, so I found 絹のような毛.  It can be repeated with verbs (動詞), I knew 走る, to run. But I had forgotten 飛ぶ, to fly.

Before next class, find a picture and make lists of the nouns, adjectives and verbs. Then write a story for class about the picture, it can be real or fiction, but try to use some of the words from your lists, in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment