Saturday 27 October 2018

Water Idioms



Today, I took a walk along the river, it reminded me of three water idioms. The first is "...like a duck to water". The meaning is that you could do a new skill very easily or be comfortable in a new situation quickly. A lot of people ask me, "Was it difficult to live in Japan at first"? My answer is "No, It was like a duck to water", meaning I was very comfortable in Japan from the very start. Teaching English was like a duck to water for me too, very quickly I became confident.

The next idiom is "Keep your head above water", it means a time when you had money problems. For example almost ten years ago I quit NOVA英会話、I did not like how the company had changed, so I decided to leave. At first it was difficult, because I had only a little work, but I could keep my head above water and now I have built a good life. 

The final idiom is "It is water under the bridge", meaning a bad experience in the past, but it is a long time ago, so now you are fine. For example: a lot of people ask me if I am married and I reply "No, I'm divorced", they then say "Oh, I'm sorry", and I reply "Don't worry, it is water under the bridge". Which means it was a bad experience in the past, but now I am fine.

For class make two presentations, using two of these idioms. See you in class.


No comments:

Post a Comment